- Temping Company
Recruitment Companies Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Temping Company - Temp Agency - Temp Staff
The most common frequently asked questions (FAQs) asked by candidates and companies can be found on this page.
- Job Seekers FAQ
- Recruitment Companies Services
- Temp Agency Services
- Current Contractors or Temp Employees FAQ
If your questions are not covered here or they are more specific, please do not hesitate to call Staffing on (02) 8015 7730. Our specialist recruitment team will be glad to provide you with the right answer!
Why register with Staffing?
With Staffing you will be partnering with a temping company specialist. We understand the employment market and specific problems of our clients. When you register with Staffing you gain access to FREE CareerController tools to assist you manage your career. You will not only become a candidate for more than 7,000 jobs advertised on Staffing every year, but also be matched with and be able to apply for millions of jobs sourced via our affiliate network.
The easiest way to register with Staffing is to clicking Find Work. You can also apply for jobs that we list on our website. Make sure you have updated your resume before starting the register for work process.
What does a recruitment agency do?
Employment Agencies operate on behalf of their clients the recruiters. Staff Agencies are external service providers who source candidates for employers to employ directly. Recruitment Agencies also frequently offer temporary or contract staffing services where they on-hire (or 'on-sell') candidates, whom the recruitment agency employs, to their clients.
What is the difference between a recruitment agency and employment agency?
The distinction between recruitment agencies and employment agencies was historically based on recruitment agencies only offering hiring services where they would source candidates on behalf of recruiters who would then employ the candidates directly. In turn, employment agencies would offer temporary staff or contract staffing services where they would employ the candidate and then on-hire (or on-sell) the candidate to organisations, charging a margin on top of the salary and direct employment costs. Most recruiters operate both services so the distinction is no longer as relevant as it may have been in the past.
What can I do to improve my resume?
At Staffing we offer you a Rapid Resume Builder as a FREE tool to generate a resume that you can then easily edit and update. Also once you have Registered For Work you will be setup with a FREE CareerController profile containing the education and credentials, work experience and personality compatibility we have extracted from your resume. You can easily update this profile and also output your profile as a resume with hundred of modern designs. Be mindful that we can only search on information with is accurate and up to date so please ensure you regularly log into CareerController to update your profile, even if you are working, so that we can match with current and future vacancies.
What will Staffing do for me?
In simple terms, we work on behalf of thousands of hirers throughout Australia to attract suitably qualified candidates for their temporary and permanent vacancies. Staffing will match your education and credentials, skill set and career aspirations against our clients’ employment needs. If you are the best fit then you may be shortlisted and invited for either a preliminary interview with Staffing, an interview directly with the our employer client or both before an offer of employment is made to the successful candidate.
Why should I work with a staff agency?
Working with staffing agencies is just one of many ways of maximizing your chances of securing a new role. Recruitment Companies often act as the ‘middle-man’ identifying and connecting you with the needs of employers. Around 20% - 50% of jobs are advertised by employment agencies so it is likely you will apply for a job advertised by recruitment companies on behalf of their clients. You should also register on multiple staffing agency websites by uploading your resume as recruitment companies will usually search their own database for candidates before advertising roles, whether they be permanent, temp or contract positions.
Can I just email my resume directly to staff agencies?
Most larger staff agencies use sophisticated databases to search for an identify candidates that match the needs of organisations. You need to register on staffing agency websites in order for your resume to be uploaded into their talent database. Applying for jobs on jobs board such as Seek or Indeed does not necessarily mean you have been registered on their database so it is often worthwhile both applying directly for roles and also registering on a recruitment company website. For Staffing you should complete your personal details and upload your resume here Find Work Of course, you may be asked by recruitment agencies on occasions to email your resume directly. Sometimes this is because they want your resume in a MS Word (or similar editable) format so that they can remove your contact details from your resume in order to forward it to organisations.
As a candidate, do I have to pay for the services of a recruitment agency?
No the service is FREE! Almost all staff agencies are paid by either employers or on some occasions the government to help unemployed candidates find work. Recruitment Agencies such as Staffing benefit that you register for work with them, as it makes it much easier to source fantastic talent on behalf of their clients who pay them for their service. Registering with recruitment companies is FREE and even if you are offered a role it is the clients of the recruitment company who pays a fee for their services.
We have a PSA or PSL in operation. How can I use Staffing?
Over the years we have worked with many companies where a Preferred Supplier List (PSL) or Preferred Supplier Agreement (PSA) is in place for recruiting services which does not include Staffing. Typically Staffing is approached by employers who are struggling to find suitable candidates through their normal employment partners. In this situation we always suggest that authority is first sort to work with Staffing. This may require us speaking to your commercial team so that agreement can be reached on commercial terms. We are happy to work with you to justify why Staffing should be engaged as your recruitment partner, whether it is on a one-off role or as an ongoing PSL or PSA employment partner. Whatever the scenario, if you need the best candidates give Staffing a call on (02) 8015 7730 so we can discuss your organisation's needs.
How is Staffing different to other employment agencies?
We are consistently ranked in the top 7 recruitment companies in Australia for our experience, hiring processes and talent matching capability. Feedback from regular surveys of our clients and candidates is that our consistant delivery of service excellence stems from our focus on:
- Apply smarter staffing solutions that optimise employer and jobseekers outcomes
- Exceed customer expectations and add value at every interaction
- Quality, service and value will not be compromised
- Services expectations will be communicated, mutually agreed and continuously surpassed
- Innovation - I will embrace continuous learning. I will strive to continuously think outside the square.
- Excellence - I will strive to surpass the expectations of my colleagues and customers.
- Respect - I will treat all people with dignity and respect.
- Passion - I will aim to impact my passion onto my colleagues and clients.li>
- Teamwork - I will aim to build team work through sharing knowledge, valuing the insights of others and building on others ideas.
- Commitment - I will continuously demonstrate my commitment to myself, the company and the wider community to be the best I can be.
Contact Staffing on (02) 8015 7730 to speak to a Consultant about your organisation's hiring needs.
How does Staffing source the best temping company candidates?
After more than 14 years, Staffing has earned an Australian wide reputation from candidates for supporting their careers and matching them with roles from some of the largest, and also smallest, employers. With between 200 and 300 new registrations on our Temping.co website every week, Staffing has a talent database of more 142,000 candidates looking to maximise their career success. Candidates are given FREE access to CareerController where they can manage job applications, see roles that match their requirements and update their profile with the latest motivation, achievements and skills. We also have access to an affiliate network and jobs boards that provides us with access to millions of capable temp agency, temp staff or temping company candidates, whether your organisation requires part-time, staffing agencies or recruitment companies staffing services. Call us on (02) 8015 7730 to discuss your company's needs to discover why Staffing has a reputation for service excellence as one of the top 9 staff agencies in Australia.
Do you recruitment agencies offer replacement guarantees if things don’t work out?
Absolutely! We do expect candidates we have sourced to be very well matched to the roles. Staffing does however guarantee to provide you with an alternative candidate for the same position if the original candidate departs or is dismissed within 3 months. In our experience 3 months provides plenty of time for a candidate to settle nicely into the role. In our experience it’s unusual for carefully recruited and well matched candidate to leave a position. Perhaps our clients’ high retention rate is because we spend so much time carefully matching candidate achievements, personality, motivation, aspirations and skills to your needs in order to source you the perfect candidate.
What sectors or industries do staffing agencies operate in?
Each year recruitment agencies place hundreds of thousands of professional candidates into permanent and contract roles across a broad range of industries and job categories. These include:
- Accountancy & Finance
- Banking & Financial institutions
- Digital Technology
- Executive Search
- Office Support
- Oil & Gas
- Supply Chain & Logistics
No matter what service you are seeking, give Staffing a call on (02) 8015 7730 so we can discuss your organisation's needs.
What are the qualities of a great recruiter?
Recruitment consultants, also known recruiters and resourcers (who just focus on candidates), are typically outgoing, sociable, organized, good communicators and motivated. They may specialize in permanent recruitment, temporary staffing, executive search (“head hunting”), specific role types (e.g. IT, engineering, accounting, change management, etc.) or be generalists running a “360 degree desk” (managing the sourcing of clients and candidates, recruiting process and achievement of budget gargets) with end-to-end responsibility. To be a successful recruitment consultant there are few top qualities that differentiate average recruitment consultants from great recruiters.
- Extrovert & Confident – There’s a reason that the industry tends to attract extroverts. Working as a recruiter involves a lot of interacting with people, whether it be on the phone or face-to-face. The industry tends to attract extroverts with a social confidence to engage with people at any level.
- Great Communication Skills – Recruiters are constantly on the phone, sending emails, writing job ads or providing feedback on position descriptions and employment contracts. They spend from the start of the day to the end of the day (and often in the evenings and weekends) communicating with clients and candidates in order to get the perfect match.
- Approachable & Good Listener – Recruiters need to be approachable and create long lasting genuine relationships. Candidates and even clients need to feel confident in expressing their personal opinions, reservations and concerns with someone whom they trust and who they feel is actively listening to them. A great recruiter’s ability to gain a deep insight into both the employer and candidate that really distinguishes them apart. This is essential in order to create a long-term relationship which ideally created with both employers and candidates (including those who were ultimately unsuccessful).
- Sales & Target Driven – Recruitment consultants must firstly sell their service to the employer and then they must sell the job to the candidate. As with any sales, both parties need to benefit from the process or they won’t proceed. The recruitment industry is very competitive with most recruiters employed on a base salary with commission or bonuses comprising a large percentage of their on-target earnings. If they are not achieving the results they won’t survive!
- Multi-Tasker & Super Organised – Recruiters need to work on a number of jobs at the same time, often with short-lead times. To be successful a good recruiter will need to juggle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously. Priories can be easily changed by clients requiring someone to start tomorrow or a candidate not showing up to their first day, so they must also be good at managing their time effectively under pressure.
- Patience – Things don’t always go to plan with dealing with people. Whether it is a candidate withdrawal, client changing their minds or leaving 20 messages without getting through to anyone, recruiters need to be flexible and patient. Typically, they are very conscience so it is also a personal challenge if they feel like candidates (and very occasionally clients) whom they trust to do the right thing let them down. It doesn’t happen very often but can be particularly frustrating when their reputation is at stake!
Staffing is always after fantastic Recruitment Consultants. If you believe you have the above qualities and are already (or might become) a fantastic recruitment consultant visit our Career Contact Us Form and include a link to your LinkedIn profile.
What services do a staffing agency offer?
Staffing Agencies typically offer a large range of services to their clients, including:
- Executive Search or Headhunting – Executive search services involve the payment of a retainer and success-based placement fee for identifying and recruiting highly qualified candidates for senior-level and executive roles often from a particular industry.
- Permanent Recruitment – Staff Agencies offer permanent recruitment services where they pre-screen candidates based on your particular skill, experience and background staffing requirements, who if successful in their interview, will be employed directly by the client. Fees for such service for Staffing are 10% of the agreed annual salary package which comes with a 3-month replacement guarantee.
- Fixed Term Recruitment – Recruitment Agencies offer fixed term recruitment services where we will pre-screen and supply suitable candidates who will become your employee for a fixed period of time. Staffing fees are based on 10% of the first year’s remuneration package which is applied pro-rata for the contract period up to a maximum of 12 months, with a minimum placement fee of $4,000 payable.
- Contract Staff – Staffing Agencies provide contract recruitment services where they will supply pre-screened candidates who are registered as independent contractors and usually engaged on a day rate. Employment Agency fees are based upon a percentage of the day rate that varies according to the period of the contract and agreed day rate.
- Temp Staff – Employers with employment agency needs enter into an agreement with a temp agency to fill jobs with appropriately skilled staff. A temp staffing and recruitment agency, also known as a temporary staff agency or temp staff agency, finds and retains expert worker to send out on short or long-term assignments.
- Preferred Supplier Agreement (PSA) Recruitment Services – Recruiting Services are provided to a operation on a pre-agreed fee schedule based on a the recruitment agency receiving a large volume of work on an exclusive or semi-exclusive basis.
How long does it take to hire a temp?
Typically for temp roles the notice period from employers to a temp agency would typically 1 to 7 days. For some roles such as reception, nursing, laborers and teachers where a staff member is sick, organisations will often call a temporary staff agency on the day that they require someone. For contract and more senior role typically organisations would provide 14 to 30 days' notice in order to secure sufficiently expert and talented staff.
How long does a temporary job last?
Short-term temp positions might last 1 day or up to 4 weeks. When the role continues longer than about 7 weeks, a temp staffing and recruitment agency would typically consider the role long term with an increased chance that it may lead to the candidate being offered a permanent role with the client (temp-to-perm).
How do temping agencies make their money?
Temporary Staff Agency make their money in different ways. They take a percentage of the temp staffing or contact salary. They also charge a placement fee to their clients of between 12% and 20% of the annual salary for any roles that go from temp-to-perm.
Do temp staff sign an employment contract?
Yes. The temp staffing and recruitment agency employs you directly and will therefore expect you to sign an employment contract. Not only will the contract outline your employment status and conditions, it will also include certain restrictions regarding your ability to work directly for, and discussing your salary with, the organisations that they introduce you to. When the temp staffing and recruitment agency send you on a role, you cannot accept any other temporary or permanent position with the enterprise without going through the temp staff agency. Should the company want to hire you permanently, they will pay the temp agency a certain amount to release you from your contract. Typically this is between 11% and 28% of the annual salary package that is offered to you.
Why do organisations hire temporary employees?
Temporary Staff Agency can quickly provide your organisation with enthusiastic staff. Some common reasons businesses hire temps are: employee annual leave or sickness, maternity or disability leave, staff sudden departure, unexpected or temporary demands, special projects, seasonal or peak periods or general employee shortages.
Can temp work benefit my career?
Every temp assignment adds to your skills and demonstrates your ability to quickly adapt to new and varying working conditions and even industries. Ensure you regularly update your resume and online CareerController profile, including denoting that it was a ‘Contract’ role and listing your skills and achievements. If you excel as a temp you will also often find yourself being offered permanent roles by our clients. Often Staffing Consultant also find themselves as Referees to other employers and even agencies.
Do temp staffing employees get paid holidays?
No. You are casually employed by Staffing and receive a loading on your salary. You are not entitled to annual leave, sick leave or payment for public holidays.
How much money does a temping agency take?
The margin varies according to the temp pay rate and also the length and type of assignment. Often the client is aware of the margin and understands the premium they are paying for the temp staffing service. For example, if a temp worker may be paid $30 per hour, the client for which they are working may actually be paying $40 per hour to the temp staffing and recruitment agency for their employment agency services. Of the $10 differece, around 30% to 50% is likely to be attributed to direct employment costs (e.g. superannuation, payroll taxes and Workcover insurance) leaving around $5 per hour margin for the temporary staff agency.